- Posted Wednesday August 31, 2011
Pancreatic Cancer Research Team uses global network to conduct
innovative clinical trials
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - Aug. 31, 2011 - Dr. Ramesh K. Ramanathan is the new Chairman of the Executive Board of the international Pancreatic Cancer Research Team (PCRT).
Dr. Ramanathan is Clinical Professor and Deputy Director of the Clinical Translational Research Division of the Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen). He also is Medical Director of the Virginia G. Piper Cancer Center Clinical Trials at Scottsdale Healthcare, a partnership between TGen and Scottsdale Healthcare.
PCRT is an international network of clinical trials sites organized under TGen Drug Development (TD2), a TGen subsidiary. PCRT represents a consortium of 45 highly experienced investigators and clinics from both academic institutes and private groups from across the U.S. and Europe dedicated to finding a cure for pancreatic cancer, which kills more than 36,000 people in the U.S. and is the 4th leading cause of cancer death in the U.S. and the United Kingdom. Worldwide, an estimated 278,000 patients are diagnosed annually.
One of the first studies done by PCRT pioneered the combination of gemcitabine and nab paclitaxel for pancreatic cancer, treatment that now is being evaluated in an international phase III clinical trial.
"PCRT is now more than 8 years old and is growing and becoming a major force for pancreatic cancer treatment across the nation and across the globe, especially as we branch into Europe," Dr. Ramanathan said. "I'm honored to continue the pioneering work done by Dr. Daniel Von Hoff, TGen's Physician-In-Chief, in setting up this organization, and by Dr. Manuel Hildago, the past chairman."
Other elected members of the PCRT Executive Board are:
- Dr. Tom Dragovich, Board Vice Chairman, Arizona Cancer Center at the University of Arizona, Tucson, Ariz.
- Dr. Daniel Von Hoff, TGen and Virginia G. Piper Cancer Center Clinical Trials, Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Dr. Manuel Hidalgo, Centro Nacional Integral de Oncologia "Clara Campal," Madrid, Spain.
- Dr. Vincent Picozzi, Virginia Mason Cancer Center, Seattle, Wash.
- Dr. John Crowley, Cancer Research and Biostatistics, Seattle, Wash.
- Dr. Jim Moser, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pa
- Dr. Tim Sieloff, Virginia G. Piper Cancer Institute, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Dr. Mitesh Borad, Mayo Clinic Arizona, Scottsdale, Ariz.